Faulkton Economic Development
Click to email.
Faulkton, a friendly town of 785 people, is the county seat of Faulk County, South Dakota, situated between the James and Missouri Rivers, along U.S. Highway 212. The county area is 1,008 square miles and was named for Territorial Governor Andrew J. Faulk, hence the name Faulkton.
The community was founded in 1882, before South Dakota became a state. It became the county seat in 1886 when the railroad by-passed LaFoon, the first county seat - now designated by a historic marker five miles east of Faulkton at the intersection of Hwys 45 and 212. Faulkton is near the geographical center of the county.
The Nixon Creek or River, as it is called locally (South Fork of the Snake, officially) flows past the community of Faulkton. Is is also the source of beautiful Lake Faulkton, two miles to the west.
Faulkton is a farming/ranching community. Its economy depends heavily on agriculture. A wide range of crops from wheat, oats, corn, rye and sunflowers, are grown in the area. Livestock producers abound throughout the Faulkton area with beef, hog and sheep operations dominating the industry.